LOCAL SELF GOVERNANCE
Local Self Governance and Government Programs
By Dr. Om Prakash Gupta
With a steady growth in usage of online platforms under Digital India, the mobile applications and social media (twitter) the m-governance has brought administration closer to every individual. Emergence of new governance model through usage of technology promotes quality administration and effective citizen services at grass-root level. Also, the policies of the central and state governments have focused towards ensuring quality administration to every individual. The Mobile platforms are actively utilised to connect to the individuals by laying down broad details of the schemes/policies/programmes of the government and seeking active involvement in its preparation and implementation done at local level. But the primary responsibility of implementation of the policies of the government comes down from Central/State Government to Panchayats and Municipalities at the local level. Therefore, the Panchayats and Municipalities have crucial significance in public administration at local level promoting direct people’s participation/involvement in policy framework and decision making. Hence, it is incumbent on the future leaders and administrators to be cognizant of the broad framework of the institutions at local level entrusted with primary responsibility of implementation of the government schemes/policies/programmes.
The Course broadly includes discussion on:
- Different Panchayati Raj Institutions and their functions;
- Different types of Municipalities and their functions;
- Functioning of Cantonment Boards and Industrial Townships; and
- Functioning of the specialised agencies: State Planning Board, Development Authority, Metro Rail Corporation, Road Transport Corporation, and Electricity Boards.
The curriculum enables the students to analyse the governance through Panchayats and Municipalities, and to equip them with the requisite skills towards realising local development and social justice. It is expected to enhance their leadership potentials as Social Engineers, for development and improvement of policy framework for the government. On successful completion of the course the students will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced and integrated knowledge of the key institutions established for urban and rural local self-governance.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the key provisions in Constitution and legal framework of the various forms of institutions working at urban and rural level.
- Analyse the key policy issues in the functioning of other self-governing institutions and specialised institutions such as, Cantonment Board, Industrial Townships, Development Authorities, Metro & Road Transport etc.
- Critically evaluate the current status and effectiveness of governance model for administration at grass-root level.
The course provides a unique learning opportunity for Public Officials including elected representatives, Civil Servants, Government Servants, NGOs, Students of Political Science/Law/Public Administration, Civil Services Aspirants, Judicial Services Aspirants and lawyers. The Course is beneficial to:
- Public Officials including elected representatives, Civil Servants, Government Servants etc.
- Individuals associated with policy-oriented and public-spirited NGOs
- Public policy practitioners/scholars associated in research.
- Civil Services & Judicial Services Aspirants
- Students (aspiring to study law/ political science /public administration or students aspiring to employment in this field)
Other important information about this ONLINE Course
- Maximum Duration to complete the Course: 3-Month
- Course Fees: Rs. 8,000/- (Several Payment Options Available: Credit & Debit Cards, Cheque, Demand Draft, Cash, Wire Transfer – NEFT, PayTM)
- Online Evaluation Method: Based on “Multiple Choice Question (MCQs)” and an “Assignment Submission” of 500-700 words.
- The score of the online examination will be taken as final result and Grade will be assigned as per the following scheme: Grade A – 80-100, Grade B – 65-79, Grade C – 50-64, Reattempt – Below 50
- Next Batch: Each IALM course starts immediately after payment. Students can register online for the course any time. Upon payment of fees and registration, the present Course will start immediately.